Dear Families, Staff, and School Community Members,
Staff in our region represented by NSGEU Local 70 have voted to reject the latest contract offer and have provided 48-hour notice of their right to strike. The union has advised us that they intend to begin a strike on Tuesday, October 25, 2022.
This is unfortunate news. I want to share what this means for our region. During a strike, students and families can expect the following:
- Schools will remain open for students in grades primary to 12
- We will not be able to offer the pre-primary program. Children in the pre-primary program will not attend school. We are currently working on plans to provide at-home learning materials to all pre-primary students.
- Possible delays when contacting a school, as school administrative assistants are one of the employee groups represented by Local 70.
For information purposes, NSGEU Local 70 represents the following SSRCE employee groups:
- Early Childhood Educators (ECEs)
- Administrative Assistants
- Information Technology Support Specialists
- SchoolsPlus Community Outreach Workers
- Student Support Workers (SSWs)
- Various finance, procurement, administrative, transportation, and information technology positions at regional office
Students who receive supports and services from these staff will experience disruptions during a strike.
This is a challenging situation and we are committed to keeping you informed as this process unfolds. Our employees represented by NSGEU are valued and respected members of our school communities. We understand a strike represents a great impact on students, families and staff. We appreciate your patience.
Regional Executive Director of Education