The International Programs Office of the South Shore Regional School Centre for Education has agreed to host a group of middle school students (Grades 7-9) from San Ignacio School in Colombia for eight weeks from October 5th to November 30th, 2022. While the students attend school, they will live with Canadian Host Families from the student body. Experience has shown that these students are hard-working, enjoy participating in school activities, and generally blend well into the lives of Canadian host families.
This is a wonderful opportunity to share our culture and to learn more about life in South America. This will be the first Colombian group hosted by our region prior to COVID. The group travel to Canada for an English immersion experience in a Canadian community.
Please consider hosting a student during their eight-week stay.
Info for potential host families:
- Volunteer host families receive $725 per month to cover the cost of food and occasional travel for the student.
- Whenever possible, we will attempt to match students with host families having children of the same age or grade level, however all families are welcome to participate in the program.
- If possible, it is preferred that short-term students have their own room; however, they may share a room with a same gender family member of approximately the same age.
- Ongoing support is only a phone call away and is provided through the Homestay Coordinator for each family.
- The students have a Comprehensive Student Health Insurance Plan.
If you would like to be registered as a Host Family, please contact Carolyn Bolivar-Getson, Program Manager (902-521-1772 (c) or email firstname.lastname@example.org). She will arrange a meeting with you and discuss further details of the program.